Let’s talk about what we read. Below you’ll find a list of books I’ve been reading as well as hand-picked articles I think are worth your time.
If there is something you think I should read, or if you feel like discussing any of the books or articles I’ve posted here, leave a note in the comments.
Books of 2019
Recommended Reading 2019
- Derrick Rose exposes our toxic role in the sports redemptive narrative by Zito Madu, SB Nation, January 23
- Don’t Doubt What You Saw With Your Own Eyes by Laura Wagner, Deadspin, January 21
- What I Learned Inside the Lonely, Sad World of QAnon Facebook Groups by K.T. Nelson, Vice, January 21
- A Problem for Kamala Harris: Can a Prosecutor Become President in the Age of Black Lives Matter? by Briahna Gray, The Intercept, January 20
- I Was a 4-Year-Old Trapped in a Teenager’s Body by Patrick Burleigh, The Cut, January 16
- Facebook’s ’10 Year Challenge’ Is Just A Harmless Meme—Right? by Kate O’Neill, Wired, January 15
- It’s Bernie, Bitch by Amber A’Lee Frost, The Baffler, January 11
- 1 Woman, 12 Months, 52 Places by Jada Yuan, The New York Times, January 4
- How a DNA Testing Kit Revealed a Family Secret Hidden for 54 Years by Dani Shapiro, TIME, January 3
- The Return of Handwriting by Jon Marcus, Medium, January 2
- How to Lose Tens of Thousands of Dollars on Amazon by Alana Semuels, The Atlantic, January 2
- Consolation Prizes by Alex Pareene, The Baffler, January
I do my best to keep track of the biggest political news stories each day. Follow my Flipboard magazine, High Impact, where I collect the most important articles in real time.